Monday, July 23, 2012

Happy Birthday to me!

It was my birthday yesterday! I turned nineteen and I can't believe I won't be a teenager this time next year. How can that be possible? It seems like just a year ago I was crying in the kindergarten because my mom was leaving me there and I thought she wouldn't come back. Oh... Even though my childhood was awesome,  I have never celebrated any of my birthdays. I don't remember I got any birthday cake. Never ever. Maybe when I was really little. But not blowing out the candles or having a party, just nice lunch or dinner with my family and friends. Don't take me wrong; I'm not complaining or anything; I like the way it is and always was, but I always wanted to have a birthday cake, although I've never asked for it.  I made it myself this year for the third time and I'm ashamed. It's not the cake it was supposed to be. Why? I like to make everything from scratch, with no shortcuts in the form of instant powders or canned food. This is a very- easy- to- make cake, but everybody likes it so what's the problem?



Pineapple cake


Ingredients


For the cake


6 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
6 tablespoons semi-coarse flour (polohruba muka)
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt

For the filling 


400 milliliters whipping cream (33% fat)
100 milliliters milk
100 grams instant vanilla pudding powder -without cooking (2 pockets Dr. Oetker Creme Ole)
1 can pineapple (about 400 grams)

For decorating


150- 200 milliliters whipping cream
20 grams vanilla sugar (or sugar+ vanilla extract)
50 grams chocolate curls 

Directions


Preheat oven to 180C. In a large bowl, whisk eggs whites until stiff, add a pinch of salt and sugar, whisk for a minute. Gently fold in egg yolks. Sift the flour, baking and cocoa powder, and fold it into the egg mixture gently with spatula. Pour the batter into prepared greased and flour spilled pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until the cake tester poured into the cake comes out clean. Let it cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely. Cut it horizontally into two halves (you'll have 2 layers).

For the filling, mix the juice from the can, whipping cream, milk and the pudding powder together. Using the whisk attachment, whip it until the filling is thick enough to spread. Mix in sliced fruit using your rubber spatula.

Spread the cake layer with 2/3 of the filling. Place another layer of the cake on the top of filling and spread the rest of the filling. Beat the whipping cream and vanilla sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the filling.

Garnish with chocolate curls.


Ready to be eaten!


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! You should be proud of yourself for sure :) I love the chocolate curls so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday to youuuu :)))) yummy

    ReplyDelete